Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Glee - Never Been Kissed

*swoon*  *applause* actually *jumping up and down clapping with huge smile on face*

Before I hit the oh my god I did not see that coming moment, I've realized that I think, strangely, part of the appeal of Glee to me is the potential from week to week that it will suck.  I know, weird huh?

Every episode, on Monday I get happy its coming, but I also get anxious.  What if it sucks?  Thing is, there are always many stories, or little mini-stories going on at the same time.  If the main story sucks but there's some major awesomeness in the B stories, the episode is still good.  But you can also easily have an episode with, like one awesome moment.  And you think wow that was great.  And a half an hour later, you think, actually, most of that kind of sucked.  But sometimes you get wonderful episodes where it seems everything is clicking.  I think tonight's was one of those.

There's just no point starting anywhere but the oh my god moment.  I gasped.  I jumped up in my seat.  I don't remember having such a physical reaction to something on TV like this.  I usually anticipate stuff like this but it happened so fast.... That big football player who torments Kurt all the time is gay, and he showed it by planting a big one on Kurt.  And Kurt's reaction was pretty much mine.  He shoves him away and looks totally horrified.  It was like, shocking, horrifying, sad, dramatic and slightly funny all at the same time.  That's one hell of a moment.  So now that Kurt knows his secret think the bullying will lay off? Probably not.

Aren't parents supposed to tell their kids bullies are the ones who are really scared and that's why the hurt those who are smaller.  Now we know why this one is a bully, and why Kurt was targeted.

And for those who wanted a less 'stereotypical' gay character. You got two! In one episode.  But honestly, I don't see Kurt being like other gay characters I've seen on TV.  And I don't think the fact that he's snarky and vulnerable are 'gay' they're just a character.  I guess the most sterotypically 'gay' thing abut him is his clothes.  Kinda surfacy.

I know they're tacking on added characters right and left this season leaving little room for the old ones, but.... I can't help it, I like the new boys.

Sam was adorable having the same problems with Quinn that Finn did, and Finn once again sharing his technique.  And Sam gets himself in all kinds of trouble.  Tina and Mike got in on that story for two seconds.

Blaine.  Fucking. awesome.  'Teenage Dream' was like 'Here I am! You all have been talking about me for ages, trying to figure me out.  Well.  How do you like me now.'
And we love.  He is so confident, self-assured.  The only little niggling doubt is that all of Glee's characters have flaws.  I can't imagine this dude having any quirky flaws that will annoy some portion of Glee's fans.
And Kurt was adorable as he stood there watching and he went from nervous to just beaming with happiness in a world where the glee club was loved
I was thinking about the potential similarity of Kurt with Blaine against Rachel with Jesse last season.
And, umm, how the hell is New Directions going to beat those boys.  They were kickass awesome.

But Blaine already gave Kurt more strength than anyone else has.  Well, except Kurt's Dad, who has been seriously awesome if handicapped by trouble understanding.
Interestingly, also, they've sort of made a big deal out of Kurt falling heavy into crush mode on the straight guys, but he didn't with Blaine.  It was like it was such a relief to him to have someone to talk to that he didn't go to crush.  Or maybe on some level he's not really ready and the crush on a straight guy is the crush on someone unattainable that you do when you're not really ready for an actual relationship.  I am reading soooo waaay too much into this.  It leaves room for something more serious.  Only thing is, what relationship is serious on Glee? Most serious was Rachel and Jessie and, um, that didn't end well.  The rest are lightly started and lightly ended.

Having written all that I will admit that Kurt's beaming smile kinda looked like crush, but I actually read it more as happiness being surrounded by people who were performing and people who were enjoying the performance.  To be able to be a performer without being ridiculed has got to be as much a dream for Kurt as being able to be gay without being ridiculed.  Its part of who he is.

I know they had to do it for story so that Kurt would feel super alone (as if the crushed moments trying to gather himself up off the ground after being hit again weren't enough), but I wish he hadn't even gone to Will.  Because Will should have been able to give him something better than that.  He was like a father to Finn last season. And this season with all the hell Kurt has been going through, that's the first time they've even spoken and he was useless.  Every week, he's sort of handing out advice right and left.  It was kind of sad.

Puck is back!!!! Thank you God because he is sooooooooo needed.  Not only does he provide comedy, but due to total lack of development of Santana, she has no purpose if he's not there.  This was the best story, the most story for Puck in one episode, and I loved it.  He showed his badass side.  Or more like 'I have to be a badass, because if I'm not then what am I' side.  Which is always good for laughs and raised eyebrows.  'One Love' was beautiful.  My favorite song Puck has sung, and awesome to have him walking around singing that song and intimidating the hell out of people.  (I know Artie was there too, I was just focused on Puck).  He helps Artie get Brittany, mostly to show off his skill at how to be the bad boy girls fall all over themselves to get to.

Then Puck got vulnerable.  (As an aside, can I just say, why does Will end up in the principal's office everytime a glee kid does? What's up with that? Do you get to bring your favorite teacher with you?) He's terrified to go back to juvie.  His total freak out was an awesome moment for him, and when Artie caught him planning to skip town altogether it was even better.  We're getting so much more of a glimpse into Puck.  The only teensy, little, problem is that the ending makes no sense whatsoever.  Artie didn't see him in class, Puck says he's leaving because he picking trash up is ghetto, Artie says he'll help him with the class if Puck does the trash thing.  And Puck agrees? And they're all buddy-buddy and its all good? I missed the part where the class had anything to do with the fact that if he didn't pick up trash he went to juvie and he doesn't want to go to juvie.  I mean, I may actually have missed something here.

So, lemme see, my list of kid characters I think have been developed, first well: Finn, Rachel, Kurt.  Enough that I know I want to see more of them: Puck, Quinn.  Enough that I know I don't care: Mercedes, Artie, Tina.  Not much at all: Brittany, Santana and Mike (nothing about these three suggests that I want them developed more except Brittany-nose-meatball which was freakin awesome.
Sam really hasn't been around long enough.  He seems to fit right in and the actor is doing enough with the little they give him that I want to see more.  I want to see quirky geeky guy.

I don't so much want to see whether or not the glee guys can get to whatever base with their glee girls.  That said, the return of hitting the mailman was much appreciated, and led to Sam's awesome 'Beiste'  which was appropriately horrifying to Quinn, who was then adorably amused when she found out the reason later.  Think Muphy made the right decision with these two, they are adorable together in a very realistically teenage dreamy kinda way.  I'm not sure there are couples that perfectly cute in high school, but if not, there aren't anywhere else, so, for those of us with romantic hearts, hopefully they do exist in high school, somewhere.

And obviously I want to see more Blaine
I am psyched to see Gwyneth Paltrow
I was disturbed to see that Will's ex-wife whose name escapes me right now is in next week.
I am not looking forward to Charice returning, whenever.  I guess there's a chance it will be better

No comments:

Post a Comment