Monday, January 17, 2011

I tried

I tried.
I thought, you're just being boring and repetitive.  And you sound like a fangirl.  And I criticized myself in several other ways.
And I think the result was that I stopped writing anything at all.  That was kind of dumb.
If my brain is totally obsessed with 2 people and a football team, so be it.
And today, of all days, I cannot not write about two of my obsessions, the Patriots and Chris Colfer.


First, the heartache.  And that is not melodrama, I mean it.  Heartache.  I couldn't even watch all of the Patriots game today.  It just hurt too much.  And, I don't want to criticize them, because I still love them dearly, but, they beat themselves.

Its one thing to have a tight game, two teams playing their best and the winner comes out, it breaks your heart if your team loses, but its not as bad as watching your team screw up, seemingly each time it mattered.

So, the Patriots season is over, and since my football obsession does not extend to draft, or really to Super Bowls with teams I'm not engaged with, I'll just say that I hope the Super Bowl result is the Bears edging out the Steelers.  But, I wouldn't be surprised to see Green Bay come flying through, and I guess that would be okay.

One last thing about football.  Really, from pretty early on in the Chicago-Seattle game, there was like, NO chance that the Seattle Seahawks were going to win.  It wasn't out of the realm of possibility, but exceedingly unlikely.  In my brain, this made the fact that two Seahawks players had to be taken from the field strapped to boards on golf carts because of perfectly legal head injuries much worse than it otherwise would have been.  Like it would be better if their team was winning?

I also found it very sad that these two injuries happened.  These were not the illegal hits the league has been fining people for right and left (rightly so) this year. They were accidents that happen in this particular game, and a little reminder from the voice on my good shoulder that there is something really awful about this game I love.

Admittedly its also that I'm partial to brains and nervous systems. Someone blows out a knee, their season is over, but to me, well, their life isn't over.  When they're old they'll walk with a cane and grumble about the pain in the morning, or something like that.  I think the brain/spinal cord is more valuable real estate.

Um, okay, so now I've written myself to a wall.  There really isn't any segue way from head injuries to golden globes.  Unless I really wanted to force some analogy of heads being globes and because they're precious they're gold, but that would be really, really, lame, yeah?

Most of the Golden Globes were pretty boring as far as I'm concerned. Ricky Gervais, okay, I could go off on a huge tangent about comedy, but I'm going to stop myself, and just say that unfortunately he appeared to be funnier when he was chubby. Its an unfortunate part of human nature.  Nobody likes a know-it-all, so if someone who seems to have all their shit together is taking potshots at others they just seem like a jackass.  If someone has all their own failures and problems on full display, then we think they're funny if they make digs at others.  As soon as you succeed enough then we want to tear YOU down instead of the people you're getting in digs at.  And I did a portion of the tangent anyway.  Oh well.

Fashion: According to every magazine and TV show I, as a female, am supposed to care greatly what women wear to these shows.  This is somewhat odd since I will never in my life have cause to wear a dress like that, let alone am I scoping out fashion tips for the upcoming season.  I do have some appreciation for people looking beautiful.  And for that there probably is nothing better than awards shows.  Downside: You either have to watch the whole red carpet business, or you only see the top half of the dresses of nominees, and the full dresses of winners.  Or you see the magically determined best dressed online the next day (who knows, they probably already have it up).  Things that struck me:

My god, if I had an excuse to wear a dress that hit the floor I would not wear some insane sparkly 5 inch heels underneath.  What kind of height inferiority complexes do they have? I'd be wearing some nice ballet flats under there I guess.  I noticed Jane Lynch strode up to that stage nice and easy, I'm betting she wasn't wearing heels.

How is it that a dress completely covered, head to toe in sequins, always straight column dresses, can look very elegant on some women, and make another woman look, well, trashy.  I won't say whose sequins looked trashy to me, but the whole time she was talking I was just trying to think what made her sequins different from the elegant ones.

Michael Douglas wanted to know the Jets score on the red carpet (which I obviously noticed because I was looking at the red carpet in an attempt to relieve the pain I was experiencing watching the Jets winning).  Catherine Zeta-Jones looked absolutely beautiful.  When does she ever not.  She is an incredible classy lady.  And, um, her dress? was kind of like Jets green.  Since it was her husband amped up with Jets love I assume the dress color was not on purpose, but it was interesting.

Who is that Alexa person on NBC and could I please never have to hear or see her again?

January Jones... woman takes chances, gotta give her that.  That dress was certainly going to catch attention

Michelle Williams... Since I'm not sure I've seen her in anything since Dawson's Creek I still think of her as Dawson's annoying girlfriend.  At any rate by far the time she most saturated my awareness of her was during that period.  However, from the incessant coverage of her life, it would seem like that dress she wore was quite good for her.  Wouldn't look right on most people

I guess the same would be said about Helena Bonham Carter.

Claire Danes... I hope she is filming/preparing for a role that requires her to be unnaturally thin, otherwise I really wish she would gain some weight.  And that pink? No.
Same for Julianne Moore, isn't there a rule that redheads shouldn't wear loud pink?

Now I just sound really negative.  The problem is I don't necessarily remember the names of some of the ones I thought were really lovely. I think there was a Jennifer something? Lawrence? blonde, who wore sort of a nude colored dress with sort of overlapping petals on the skirt.  It was lovely. Olivia Wilde looked beautiful in that dress. Back to the topic of green, I usually don't get one shoulder dresses any more than I get asymmetrical hemlines, but the color was so stunning and the shape so perfect, that I would say Mila Kunis looked gorgeous.  Diana Agron also looked gorgeous.
Okay, I think I've gone well past doing justice to my feminine side
Oh, forgot one thing,  Men.  Johnny Depp and there were quite a few other good looking guys

But of course its an award show, and sadly, as I watched, I realized how everything was a movie I hadn't gotten around to going to see, or its on HBO, which I technically have, but I don't seek out new shows, so I just found out about the Boardwalk show a week ago.  My roommate was trying to explain to me what the hell was going on.

I really thought The Social Network was a movie about facebook.  Apparently it just uses that as a metaphor to start a discussion of how we communicate with each other, making it art and worthy of, apparently, a ton of awards, most of the big ones here.  It kind of passed me by, since while I do use facebook, its origins and the guy who created it are just not that interesting to me.
Oh but I do have to mention probably the most hilarious moment of the show which was Social Network related.  The producer is giving his acceptance speech for best picture, working his way through producers, writers, directors, etc. and gets to cast, looks down at actors still sitting in their seats and stops "What are you doing down there? Get up here!" One hauls the other up and they scamper up on to the stage looking here like they'd really rather hide from all of this attention.  Really quite adorable.

I was very psyched for Colin Firth, because I did see, and adored him in, The King's Speech.
I would now like to see The Fighter even more than I already did.

But, the moment, which took away the heartache of football came very early on.  The TV supporting actor category.  They announced it.  I remembered, hey Chris Colfer is nominated for this!  They showed him making a goofy face, and then, well, they showed a bunch of other really good actors from really good things, including Eric Stonestreet who he lost to at the Emmy's last year.  This category is rather unique.  It includes supporting actors from every TV medium together.  This means more competition, and quite a strange mix.  If you think about it though, Chris's strongest talents on Glee are the dramatic stuff.  For the Emmy's, you're voting for best supporting actor in comedy (since Glee is entered as a comedy, which is another question), and Chris is funny as hell but the funny is one-liners, the meat is drama, so in a mixed category there's no potential awkwardness.  They can judge him as a great actor for everything he does and not feel like they're giving out a comedy award to someone who spends the majority of his submission in the most serious dramatic situations on the show.  That makes perfect sense to me, I swear, so if it doesn't to you, just read it again. [ Edit: Yeah... so, on reading through after sleep, I realized that 'read it again' was expecting a bit much, so I've corrected the most egregious issues impairing comprehension of the preceding.]

So, obviously Chris won! I was totally, totally, shocked.  I thought Chris Noth or Stonestreet would win. And of course Chris was totally shocked as well. Diana looked utterly adorable bouncing up and down next to him.  He looked like he was biting his lip so as not to cry.  Jane Lynch was urging him on.  The entire cast was so moved and excited and happy for him.  While he was speaking Lea Michele was trying very hard not to mess up her significant eye makeup (they probably go pretty waterproof for these things just in case, right?)

And in his shock and amazement Chris was immediately witty because that's his norm, a sign of a truly funny person.  And after the normal and understandably important thank yous, he said it was mostly for the fans, the kids who were told No by people around them, and holding up that award as evidence to say screw them.  And in doing so, perhaps more than anything in the past that he has done, I suspect he has fully taken on the role model mantle.  He has taken on the role as poster boy for an issue that confuses and worries us right now.  Hopefully it won't be too heavy, and hopefully he can control when he is asked to behave as such and when he is given a free pass, as he asked of the LAPD in his backstage interview.  He wants to go out and party tonight.  Have fun Chris! But, um, you're not 21 yet, so do stay away from the police if you were partaking of, for instance, that champagne.
Mmm, I like champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment